Saturday, December 31, 2011

Can't wait to see what the New Year brings

I was going to wait to do this post but I can't sleep so thought now would be a good time.

For this I wanted to do something different. Rather than reflect on the past year I wanted instead talk about the future.

I have this feeling this year is going to be a big one not just for me but for my friends as well. I would also like to impart some words of wisdom going into the New Year based on what I have learned this year.

The most important thing I could say is don't change anything for anyone. Not personally, creatively, or intellectually. Be who you are and do as you want.

Also, fail! And fail a lot. I don't mean this to say don't strive for success. But our failures are what shape our success. Don't be afraid of messing up every now and again. It's how we learn. Wear your failures like badges of honor. Because without any of those failures we would not be who we are. So let me rephrase. Failure shapes our character and points us in the right direction.

Always pursue your dream. I've met too many people this past year who talk about doing something but never actually do what they say. Don't talk and take action. It's the ones who act instead of talk who change the world.

So those are my words of wisdom.

I would also like to take this moment to express my passion for something I've discovered this past year.
I have learned that I really enjoy in some way mentoring those who do not yet have the knowledge I have about animation and storytelling.

And while I do not yet know everything, this blog is going to change this year. I am going to do a weekly post as much as possible about storytelling and how animation plays into that. So that perhaps someone who finds it can learn something. Because if there is anything I have learned this past year is animation is not about gags and gimmicks. It is about telling a story. A story that an audience can relate to on a personal level.

As Ed Hooks said during the class I attended. "Empathy is the most important thing an audience needs to feel for a character. Without empathy, the story fails."

So with that. Happy New Year. Let's see what this next year brings. :-)

Good night all!

No comments:

Post a Comment