Friday, January 28, 2011

Animation Critiques / Venting

I pride myself on receiving constructive criticism, but there is a fine line between that and saying that a person obviously needs to study something. I wanted constructive criticism on a lip sync animation and a person responded. Some of the points were valid while I also quite offended. I am unfortunately a passive aggressive person so I shy away from conflict and vent about it later as I'm doing now and not usually to the person who offended me to start with. (in most cases anyway) 

First off the person starts with how they can't do anything I can do in 3D. Then they go on to say that I obviously need to study anatomy of humans facial movement. They then say that because they can draw well that they believe they will be very good at animation. That sounds a little like someone trying to hard to pat themselves on the back and also somewhat self-absorbed.  So here is what I think of this critique I was given by this person.

1. If you can't do anything I can do in 3D animation, then you aren't the person to be offering constructive criticism. Unless you know animation, the 12 principles, and have actually done it, then you aren't in a position to critique.


2. Don't say I obviously need to study anatomy of facial movement. I read every book I can find on the matter, been through classes about it, and studied myself in the mirror for hours on end. Also, watching the scene over and over again for 4 hours straight to really see what was going on.  Also, it's worthy to note that different lines of dialogue require different kinds of movement. Stiff more stoic dialogue requires stiff and stoic movement. 

3.Just because you can draw well does not mean that you will be able to do animation. Drawing is a nice skill to have, but animation is a completely different animal. If this is a way of thinking, you are in for a rude awakening. Also, there is a flip side to that coin. Just because a person can do animation well does not mean they can draw. There are many talented animators out there who can't draw to save there life.

Now it could be argued that I should not be offended, but I do think I am right in my taking offense. It just seemed to me that this person didn't want to offer critique, but rather be insulting instead. If he really wanted to offer a critique he would not have said that I obviously need to study human facial anatomy, but rather would have said "that's good, you are on the right track." Maybe some closer examination of facial movement would help but what you've done looks good.

I mean really, Am I wrong to ask that much?

No comments:

Post a Comment