Thursday, February 3, 2011

Yay for schol starting again... and the icy fun

So the next semester started and I'm already enjoying it. I was seriously going through brain drain during the month off. First up. Character Animation 1. I love and will continue to love this class. Two years of learning modeling and dealing with rigid characters and very basic rigging set ups and I'm finally getting to the meat and potatoes of learning animation. All I have to say is yippee. The first assignment was animating bouncing balls. My first thought was 'whoa, wait a minute, I want to animate characters'. But I fully understand the reason for the assignment and it was quite a bit of fun. Really who would have thought making balls bounce would be fun. Next assignment is animating two nurbs primitives and having them interact  and give them personality. I think this assignment is going to be lots of fun.

Then there is Fundamentals of Texturing and Lighting. I am going to enjoy this class as well. I find texturing models to be very enjoyable except for that whole UV mapping part, but oh well. Why will I like this class? because I am going to do something I have not done before and that is photograph my own textures. Until now, I have just used images found on the interwebs and worked with them in Photoshop.

Next up, Perpesctive. Now I will say that these Foundations classes are often a pain in the ass. I don't like taking them, I want nothing to do with them and the work load is usually 3 times that of the other classes. This one is no different, except that I think I will actually enjoy this class. Oh and it's the last one I have to take!! But also more so, this class feels much less arbitrary than the others. Why? Because I actually feel like it has something to do with my major. During the class, we will get to draw real storyboards, comic books, illustrations and environments in various perspectives. Pretty much most of the things needed to pitch a film idea with the exception of a treatment and a script, I already had that class. Cinematic Storytelling. Which taught me how to be DP, how to direct, edit, oh and write scripts.

Now onto the Ice storm that caused havoc for a  large portion of the country. I would like to say how much of the country, but I honestly don't know. I just know it was a good heaping spoonful that's for sure. Really all I kept thinking was don't let there be a power outage. I'm the type of person who doesn't turn my computer off in lightning storms. I've even played my guitar in lightning storms. I come from a family of crazy ass storm chasers who drive towards tornadoes while everyone else is getting to safety so let's just say scary weather doesn't really bother me much. But I was really worried that the power would go out. I just kept thinking while I'm at my computer with Maya running and animating something, this is when the power will be lost along with any work I was doing. Thankfully, it didn't happen. So here's to the ice storm of 2011, starting school again, animation, and to having no social life (if I ever had one anyway) for the next few months. Cheers!


and yes this whole thing pretty much is me talking to myself. lol

No comments:

Post a Comment