Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Negative people suck!!!

So I have to get this off my chest. I went to the barbershop today to get haircut because it's been months and I was started to look to have some crazy Einstein hair happening.  I've been going to this barbershop since I was a kid, and only one of the barbers I like and the other one... not so much.  Well today, the one I don't like is the one cutting my hair. He asked me what I was going to school for and I told him. Unlike the other more encouraging barber, he asked if I actually planned on making a career out of being an animator and I said, well yeah! This douche bag actually started laughing at me. He then basically went on to say how tough it was, and it's never going to happen, blah blah blah. He then asked where I went to school and I told him. I also told him they were online courses because I can't afford to attend the school on campus. He then started berating me for taking online courses because it's not "real school". The fucking hell it isn't. It is damned real school and it's probably 10 times harder because there is no direct or real time interaction with an instructor.  Also, it was the school that intrigued me the most and many if not all of their instructors are either working or have worked in the industry.

Case in point.

Advanced Animation Instructor: Steve Segal- Character Animator for Pixar. Worked on Toy Story and A Bug's Life. Continued working for Pixar doing game animations. Created his own studio. This guy freaking knows his stuff, let me tell you. I've learned more from him in 5 weeks than I have in the past 2 years.


Fundamentals of Texturing and Lighting Instructor: Howard Gersh- Texture Artist for ILM and worked on all 3 of the Star Wars prequels.

Perspective Instructor: Leonard Ng - I can't even begin to remember all the video games this guy has done concept art for. He's been around.

So anyway, back to the point. This stupid barber then goes on to talk about the film "Secondhand Lions" and how it was based on a book. This I know because it was written by Cormac McCarthy. One of my favorite authors. He then talks about how the author was at one point an animator and became  an author. WRONG!!!!!!!!  Cormac McCarthy has no point ever been an animator and always been an author. Geez, if people are going to try and insult me, at least do your homework. Secondly, this guy certainly doesn't have the right to be like this towards me. He does not know me personally, he is not a close friend, a relative or anything of the like. He cuts my hair for god's sake.

Now where I start getting really pissed is when he starts saying I'll never make it because there is no animation in Indiana. WRONG AGAIN!! There is actually a very large animation community in Indiana. It's actually a pretty big damn deal in this state. Also, I have no intention of any kind of staying in this state. Los Angeles is most likely where I'm going to be living in the future. Which brings up another thing that bothers me. I live in a very small town. The kind of town that people don't escape from. This is a town where you walk around and see a bunch of older folks talking about how they would have liked to have done this and that but never did. This creates resentment towards those who actually have the potential and ability to escape this town. The people who live here never succeeded at anything or even tried and as such, they don't want anyone else who lives here to succeed either.  I swore to myself when I was a kid that I would not live in this town my whole life and would move on to better things and I won't hesitate to leave everything behind in an instant. I know this because a couple of months ago, I came very close to getting involved in a relationship with a girl in a nearby town and when she said she was content to live here forever, I simply told her, "well I'm not so you don't fit with my plans". That is how serious I am.

But I'm also actually glad this guy did what he did, because all he really did was add fuel to my fire to become a great character animator.

5 comments:

  1. Hey man, preaching to the choir! I've heard this from my dental hygenist (I knew a girl that went to art school, now she's a real estate agent) and a crappy hair stylist (I went to art school, look at me now) and on and on it goes, but the reality of it is man they have no idea what they are talking about. NO idea. There is work out there and you are a great modeler and texture man and animation is comin' around too! It's all those people who are busy wallowing in the tears of their unfulfilled dreams who say stuff like that. All those people who told me "no" would swallow their words if they could see me now, and I'm just getting started. LA is the place to be for you I think, and you'll make it out there I have no doubt. Keep going dude!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn straight!!! Nobody ever thought I would go to SIGGRAPH as a student volunteer, but I did. All those negative people can suck it. lol. It's all about the drive and the passion. You are an awesome animator and it's very cool that you are working on The Micros. That will look great for you on a resume. I've also seen your Squirrel Tale film and it's great. I've often thought about wanting to give the squirrel fur. Cheers!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although I was wrong about Secondhand Lions being written by Cormac McCarthy. I got it confused it with No Country for Old Men. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah I tried to give the squirrel fur but it was hard to manage! The animation was super quick too, i only had like 9 days to do it after spending 6 months trying to get everything else working. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Giving fur to things is really fun! I like it a lot. I once gave a teddy bear model fur just for the heck of it. 9 days is a really fast turnaround for an animation and you did a great job. It must have been especially rewarding after six months of trying to get everything else to work to see it completed. :-)

    ReplyDelete