Thursday, April 28, 2011

Today was a damned good day!!!

So yeah, last night I got the acceptance letter for being a SIGGRAPH Student Volunteer. Now I know I'm going. And I really didn't think there is anything that could possibly trump that news. But something did.

I had a meeting today with Vince DeQuattro, the Director of the Animation and Visual Effects Department at AAU. I was really only meeting with him to discuss my career path, classes I should take, and the choices that will effect my career. I walked away from this meeting getting far more than I ever expected.

We discussed how online students tend to feel disconnected from the school because we are so far away and are missing out on things. He then said he wants to setup and online office for on campus and online students to  meet and collaborate on projects. The office would then have a student rep to communicate their questions or concerns to Vince. He basically just said to me that the office would be mine to control. I would set the hours, and be the student rep. He asked me to send him  a headshot so the students know who the office instructor is and know who to talk to when problems arise. He told me since some students might be nervous about talking to him because he is the big cheese of the department, I could voice their concerns and questions to him directly if they were too nervous to speak to him. This was a damned good day. I just went from being an AAU Student to being AAU faculty. Only in my wildest dreams could this have happened. This is one of those defining moments when the unexpected happens. This is the moment when careers are made.  I'm beside myself with happiness.

2 comments: